2010 East Grand Adventure Race:
Hosted by the East Grand High School Outdoor Education Program and in memory of Phillip Morse. All new race course for 2010, last year we had 50 race participants! Enter as pairs. High school students boys division, girls division, Adults-men, women or mixed (all one category) until the numbers warrant splitting into separate adult divisions). Check in time is Saturday morning, 8:00AM at East Grand High School, Danforth, Maine. Entry Fee: $40.00 per team which includes lunch, adventure race t-shirt, and attractive trophies to the top three finishing pairs. Prizes: A traveling trophy will be presented to the winning high school boys and girls team to keep at their school for the year.
$900.00 in Prizes with $300.00 to the top three finishing pairs in each division!
1st Two $75.00 gift Certificates to Ski Rack Sports, Bangor, 2nd Two $50.00 gift Certificates to Ski Rack Sports, Bangor, 3rd Two $25.00 gift Certificates to Ski Rack Sports, Bangor
Race Details Level of difficulty: While the race will be physically challenging. It is not beyond the reach of those who are in reasonably good physical condition. We highly recommend a routine of training, well before the race that includes biking, jogging/running and canoeing. There will be a five minutes between each element to take a short break, eat a snack, and take a drink before heading out on the next leg of the race.
Meeting Place: Meet on Saturday at the East Grand Cafeteria 8:30AM to check in & register. We meet back at the cafeteria for lunch after the race approx. 2:00PM.We are aiming to do the awards presentations at 3:00PM or sooner if all the race participants are in.
Schedule Eat a good breakfast prior to arriving at East Grand by 8:00-8:30AM for orientation. Each team will be issued a number to place on the right front of your canoe and to wear over clothing. Racing Order: 1.5 mile *bushwhack, ten miles off road (woods roads and trails) mountain biking and seven miles of flat water canoeing (Distances are approximate).
Equipment & Clothing Mountain bike (any style of mountain bike is fine), Helmets required.
Canoes: General recreation includes canoes sold for general recreational use. In general ABS and Polyethylene canoes (Example, Old Town Discovery Series 169 and 174, Penobscot Series 17 & 18.5). Two proper fitting type III PFDs and these must be worn during the race. At least three paddles (one being a spare.), baler. Optional: a farmer john style wet suit in case of cold, rainy weather or if a canoe upsets. Compass: A basic compass with lanyard that includes a base plate with direction of travel arrow. Clothing: Depending on weather conditions, students should have proper clothing and footwear. Leaders will be available at check points to collect a shed layer of clothing or provide extra clothing to students. Clothing should be of synthetic materials (fleece & Polypropylene) used with an outer shell such as a wind breaker. You may want to place a spare set of clothing in your canoe in a waterproof bag to change into in the event of an upset canoe.
Directions To East Grand High School
When coming from central and southern Maine, take 95 north to exit 227. In Lincoln, take a left onto Rt. 6. Follow Rt. 6 through town and east to Springfield. In Springfield, take a left onto Rt. 169, bear right twice over the next 20+ miles for Danforth. In Danforth, cross over the train tracks go up over the hill and take a left onto Rt. 1 north, the school is on the right. From the Houlton area and points north, take Rt. 1 South to Danforth, the school is on the left. From Down East Maine, take Rt. 1 north, Rt. 1 makes a right turn in Danforth, turn right and the school is on the right.
2010 East Grand Adventure Race Results (20 mile course)
High School Boys:
1. Mark Rowe & Dan Lesser, Orono, 3:04:37
2. Schuler Collett & Alex Introne, Orono, 3:10:46
3. Nick Tarr, Oakfield & Morgan Gustin, Merrill, 3:33:38
4. Andrew Holt, Orono & Jacob Brooks, Greenbush, 3:46:30
5. Andrew Gilman & Aaron Henn, Danforth, 3:50:22
6. Andrew Smith, Stacyville, & Gabriel Schenk, Island Falls, 4:02:27
7. Ethen Boss, Milford, & Yuval Boss, Orono, 4:07:31
8. Carle Zurhorst, Rumford & Jordan Theriault, Mexico, 4:18:15
9. Sam Stewart, Weston & Neal Noble, Weston, 4:58:20
10. Chase Collett, Orono, & Brandon Smith of Greenbush, 5:03:22
11. Mitchell Bartlett, Weston & Alex Brittain, Danforth, 5:12:25
12. Clay white, Brookton & Mitchel spear, Baileyville, 5:32:12
13. Cleve Kenyon & Jon Wright of Weston, 5:44:43
14. Paul Robinson & Laurie Hamilton, Orono, DNF
High School Girls:
1. Molly White of Brookton & Taylor Cochran, Topsfield, 4:08:46
2. Armella Glazier, Rumford & Kym Couch, Mexico, 4:12:17
3. Sharlene Maynard, Lincoln & Kaitlyn Beaudoin, Brookton, 4:43:44
1. Micheal Dowell & Phil McPail, Lincoln, 3:19:10
2. Mark Doty & Jon Doty, Madison, 3:21:07
3. Chris Mejias & Joel Sweetser, Rumford, 3:25:21
4. James & Andrean Kneeland, Lincoln, 3:30:41
5. Chris Lyford, East Machias & Corey Schwinn, Marshfield, 3:35:03
6. Austin ross & Derek Rowe, Caribou, 3:48:51
7. Tammi Matula, Orient & Shauuna Beaudoin, Brookton, 4:01:47
8. Shaunda Stevens, Phildelphia, PA & Ben Stevens Jr., Indian Township, 4:03:149. Nick Chambers, Smyrna, & Matthew Scott, Oakfield, 4;04:06
10. John Simko, Greenville & Mark Young, Dover-Foxcroft, 4:04;13
11. Greg Palm & Mandy Putnam, Presque Isle, 4:14:07
12. Liz Gilman, Danforth & Naomi Gillette, Bangor, 5:00:10
13. Adam Murchinson & Vicky Ouellette, Mapleton, 5:21:24
14. Ben Latvis, Orient & Kenneth Winiarski, Forest City, 5:35:53