2014 Storm Sloper Trails Challenge Adventure Race:
Storm Sloper Trails Challenge is part trail run and climb, part adventure race, and part scavenger hunt benefiting Livestrong at the YMCA Program for adult cancer survivors. Run, climb, wade, crawl, jump, and think your way through this near 5 mile rigorous event that will push your physical and mental limits utilizing all the natural and demanding terrain, trails and obstacles that YMCA Camp Sloper has to offer.
The course is located on trails at YMCA Camp Sloper and will include demanding forested paths, cliff climb, up and downhill hiking, pond wade, physical and mental obstacles. Some areas of the course are very rugged and will require a hiking pace as opposed to a running pace.
· Log onto our website www.sccymca.org for important event information.
· Saturday, April 26 pre-race packet pick up at the Southington Community YMCA between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm.
· Sunday, April 27 check-in between 8:00 and 9:30 am.
· Race briefing 9:45 am.
· Race begins 10:00 am.
· First wave leaves at 10:00 am.
· Waves are determined by participant's registered 5K time.
· Time in between waves will be 5 to 10 minutes.
· After Party begins when first wave completes the course.
Directions To YMCA Camp Sloper
I-84 West to Exit 32 (Queen St., RT. 10). Turn right at end of exit. Travel south 2.5 miles through Southington center to the end of the Town Green. Take a left onto Berlin Avenue (Banknorth CT is on the corner). Follow Berlin Ave. to 4-way intersection. Take a left onto Berlin Street. At 2nd stop sign take a right onto East Street. Follow 1/2 mile past red barn to YMCA Camp Sloper entrance on the left
From Waterbury and Cheshire:
I-84 East or Rt. 10 North to I-691 East. Take exit 4 and turn left off the exit. At the 2nd light take a right onto Rt. 120, Meriden Avenue. Travel approximately 1/4 mile to the light, take a right onto Savage Street. Follow Savage St. to then end (approx. 1 mile) and turn right on East St. Follow East St. approximately 7/10 of a mile. YMCA Camp Sloper is on the right.
From New Haven:
I-91 North to Exit 17. Follow 4/10 of a mile to I-691 West. Take exit 4 and turn right off the exit. At the first light take a right onto Rt. 120, Meriden Avenue. Travel approximately 1/4 mile to the light, take a right onto Savage Street. Follow Savage St. to then end (approx. 1 mile) and turn right on East St. Follow East St. approximately 7/10 of a mile. YMCA Camp Sloper is on the right.
All participants must bring the following:
· Photo ID. Keep the ID on your person at all times in a secure place (Zipped pocket or backpack etc) so you don’t lose it on the course.
· A copy of your email confirmation.
· A rucksack, backpack, fanny pack to carry small items along the course as well as hydration and snacks.
· This race is unsupported and participants must bring their own supply of water such as hydration bladders, and water bottles. Water bottles will be available at the finish line.
· Expect to get dirty and trash your clothes. Wear clothing, shoes and gear that you wouldn’t mind discarding after the challenge.
· This could be a cold weather event so prepare accordingly.
· Choose the right clothing.. Moisture wicking clothes that dry quickly are best. Avoid cotton socks. Cotton and baggy clothing will slow you down, stay wet and can get snagged on brush and obstacles. Bring a change of clothes, towel and toiletries so you will be warmed up for the after party.
· Opt for trail running or off-road shoes. Cleats are prohibited.
· Consider wearing athletic or weight lifting gloves for protection on obstacles.
· This is not a timed event. Rather, the challenge is to finish the course. Bring a watch if you care about knowing your time. It’s on you to time yourself.
The parking will be closed at 10:00 am. Parking is limited to 1 car per participant. We highly encourage you to carpool with your spectators.
· YMCA Camp Sloper is a “dry” venue and alcoholic beverages are not permitted.
· Porta-potties will be available.
· This event is subject to change. Please check out website for changes and updates.
• 2014 race registration is open.
• Registration Information.
• • •
first annual - no past results ...
• • •