2014 South Mountains Half Marathon:
• Make plans to attend South Mountains Half marathon.
• Nestled deep in the woods and steeped with folklore, South Mountains is the perfect place to enjoy nature and listen to tales about a local "Sasquatch" that is believed to live in this area.
• Here you can see a majestic mountain range peeking out from the gently rolling landscape of the piedmont.
• This course will challenge you from the start as you make your way up the mountain.
• You will rise up and up and up until you will think you will penetrate the earths atmosphere.
• When you reach the top then its down down down with a thrilling insane downhill race to the finish.
• Fun for all on this extra wide double track course.
• The course starts out on pavement (for spacing), Once on the trail you will begin your ascent on what feels like a never ending road to the sky. And just when you think you have reached the top, this mountain says "Oh No... theres a little bit more".
• The high point on the trail comes at about mile 7. There are many ups and downs of rolling terrain, one serious water crossing, and four intense downhill miles that will send you screaming back to the finish. Oh, wait,... and one surprise uphill just when you think everything is over.
• Great long distance veiws, extra wide track, and few obstacles make for a great Race. Just make sure you are in really good shape and plan on doing a lot of elevation here at South Mountain.
• Half Marathon Course Map - (.pdf file)
South Mountains State Park:
• South Mountains State Park is located in Burke County, 20.5 miles south of Morganton.
• From I-40, turn south on NC 18, travel 11.1 miles and make a right turn onto SR 1913 (Sugarloaf Road).
• Take SR 1913 to Old NC 18 4.3 miles and turn left.
• Travel 2.7 miles and make a right turn onto SR 1901 (Ward's Gap Road).
• The park is 1.4 miles off SR 1901 on SR 1904 (South Mountains Park Avenue).
• Travel one mile from the beginning of South Mountain Park Avenue to the South Mountains State Park
• Map & Directions
• • •
• The parks other areas include elevations up to 3,000 feet, a waterfall dropping 80 feet and more than 40 miles of trails.
• From equestrian camping to trout fishing, mountain biking to picnicking, a number of activities are available at South Mountains State Park.
• Visit one of the state's most rugged parks. Hike the trail to High Shoals Falls to witness the roar of the waterfall as it pours into a large pool. Backpack through the woodlands for primitive camping.
• Fish for trout in miles of mountain streams, or bicycle along the 17-mile mountain-bike loop.
• Don't forget to Register early.
• The race is limited to the first 120 entrants.
• NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION
• 2014 race registration is open.
• Registration Information.
• • •
2013 Results at: gorunevents.com
• • •
Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps