_The 2024 EPIC5 Challenge:
Here is an example of the event flow:
There are two registration entry fee options for the 2024 EPIC5 Challenge event, and a $250 USD non-refundable application fee. If accepted, the application fee will be applied towards your registration entry fee.
OPTION 1: Fundraising Athlete. Fundraise a minimum of $3,000 USD for the Special Olympics Hawaii organization and pay a special registration rate of $8,500 USD. You will have your own fundraising page, and the top fundraiser will be refunded the cost of two crew packages.
OPTION 2: Non-Fundraising Athlete. $9,900 USD + non-fundraising athletes are requested to donate a minimum $500 USD to the Special Olympics Hawaii organization.
We are also offering a FUNDRAISING RELAY TEAM option for this event. Each team must consist of 3 people, one per discipline. $2,900 USD per person + team fundraising minimum of $5,000 USD.
The registration entry fee includes the following:
• An ultra tri experience in a small adventurous group setting with a focus on unique courses while touring the Hawaiian Islands
• Inter-island travel for the athlete
• Event photographer to document the journey
• Professional bike mechanics for daily build/breakdown & on course
• EPIC swag bag
• 40L drybag backpack (large)
• 1 bike kit (jersey + choice of cycle shorts or bib)
• 1 wind jacket
• 2 shirts (1 tank, 1 tee)
• 1 visor
• 1 tech running hat
• 2 swim caps
• 1 insulated water bottle
• 1 multi-purpose head buff
• reflective vests for athlete + crew (evening use for athlete, pacer, crew)
• 3 shirts per crew (choice of tee or tanks)
• 1 hat or visor per crew
• luggage tags for athlete & crew
• Group meals for athlete & crew
• Meet & Greet pre-race dinner in Kauai
• Pre-Race Meeting brunch in Kauai
• Award dinner post event in Kona
• Celebratory breakfast post event in Kona
• Ice chest/cooler
• Koa wood finisher award
• Event bowl
You have the option of paying the full registration fee upfront (within 2 weeks of acceptance) and receive a 5% credit towards any add ons (crew fees, extra merchandise, etc).
Or you may split the registration fee into 4 payments, with the first payment of 25% due within 2 weeks of acceptance. The remaining payments of 25% each are due by January 2023, May 2023, November 2023. Any crew fees + any other add-ons are due by November 2023.
Failure to timely make any of these payments shall result in the forfeiture of your participation slot as well as any monies that you may have paid to EPIC5 Challenge.
EPIC5 Challenge, at its sole discretion, may defer your entry to a future event upon your written request and on a case-by-case basis, but is under no obligation to do so.
Lastly, in the event that a minimum number of participants (as determined by EPIC5 Challenge) have not been accepted by EPIC5 Challenge by five (5) calendar months prior to the first day of the event, EPIC5 Challenge, in its sole discretion, shall have the right to cancel such event and provide a full refund of all monies that you may have paid to EPIC5 Challenge.
• Athlete + crew travel to/from Hawaii. Cost varies depending on where you’re traveling from. Arrival airport is Lihue, Kauai (LIH) and departure airport is Kona, Hawaii (KOA).
• Crew Package, $945 USD per person, includes interisland travel, 3 shirts or tanks, hat or visor, official event meals (pre-race event kickoff brunch, post-race award dinner, post-race brunch).
• Interisland lodging – a list of recommended lodging will be available, some with discounted rates.
• Rental vehicles, fuel and parking costs – minivan highly recommended. Rates vary by location, car selection, and how early you book.
• Meals, nutrition, water, ice, etc. (other than Group Meals listed above) for athlete & crew. Cost varies depending on venue & selections. Food is very expensive in Hawaii. We recommend supplementing some crew meals with DIY sandwiches.
• Luggage fees for checked bags/bike box, $15-35 standard luggage fee per item per leg. Oversize & overweight are additional. Each athlete may have no more than 4 pieces of luggage (2 suitcases, 1 bike box under 50 pounds, 1 cooler). Crew should have no checked luggage, carry on only.
– Bike boxes limited to 80 linear inches. Oversize fee is +$35 per item per leg.
– Maximum weight is 50 pounds. Overweight fee of +$35 per item per leg, 51-70 pounds.
– Total estimate for luggage fees is (15+15+15+15+35)*4=$380 USD (assumes 4 pieces incl bike box, none overweight).
– Fees are estimates as of publication of this page. For current rates, please see Hawaiian Airlines baggage page and Mokulele Airlines baggage page.
– For best rates, join the Hawaiian Airlines frequent flyer program for a discount on baggage fees.
• Inter-island lodging, approximately $250-500 USD per night to sleep 4 people (athlete + crew). Cost estimate varies depending on island, how many rooms/beds you get, and how early you book.
– A list of recommended lodging will be available, some with discounted rates.
Each athlete must complete each day with enough time to make the flights, finishing no later than approximately 2 hours before flight time to allow for travel to the airport, rental car return, check-in and security screening. Day 1 needs to be completed in 15 hours for an evening flight. All other flights are in the morning.
First and foremost, we are looking for solid athletes with a passion for adventure and a desire to make the world a better place.
In regard to athletic experience, there is no one size fits all answer. Every person’s situation and experience is different. With that said, here are some general guidelines.
• Must be able to complete Day 1 in 15 hours for an evening flight.
• Must be able to complete a 2.4 mile open water swim in approximately 2 hours or less (maximum time limit for swim is 2h:20m).
• Multi-day endurance experience is key. Here are a few examples:
• Ultraman or Ultraman format races
• Anvil multiday events
• Marathon de Sables
• Rowing from California to Hawaii (~2400 nautical miles) in 57 days
1- Submit application by selecting the APPLY HERE button below.
2- Submit application fee of $250 USD.
3- Application review within one week of submission.
4- EPIC5 & Applicant meet via video.
5- Within one week:
Invitation extended, or
Invitation not extended
6- If Invitation extended, balance of registration fee due within 2 weeks.
Leading up to the event, starting ~9-12 months out, we will hold a series of prep calls. This is where we’ll review important and helpful details, and answer questions. Attendance is required. Unable to attend live? Don’t worry! A recording will be sent to all registered athletes & crew.
Topic examples include:
• Travel, lodging & rental cars
• All things bike (courses, crewing, rules & regulations, mechanic support)
• Crewing an EPIC event & breakdown of roles (Crew Chief, Logistics Manager, Driver)
• Interisland travel & island resources + schedule
• Course maps
Special Olympics is a global inclusion movement using sport, health, education, and leadership programs every day around the world to end discrimination against and empower people with intellectual disabilities. Founded in 1968, Special Olympics Hawaii has grown to serve more than 4,700 athletes and unified partners on every island in the state. With the support of more than 11,000 coaches and volunteers, Special Olympics delivers 10 Olympic-type sports and over 50 games and competitions throughout the year. Special Olympics is supported by individuals, foundations, and corporate partners. There is never a fee for any athlete or family to participate in Special Olympics programs.
Special Olympics Hawaii, Inc. is recognized as tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. 100% of your donation is tax-deductible. Federal Tax ID number or Employer Identification Number (EIN) 23-7173957. Donations made outside the United States may not be tax deductible. Consult your tax advisor to determine your eligibility for tax deduction.
USAT or USA Triathlon is the governing body of multisport in the United States. The term “sanction” refers to the compliance of a multisport event to USAT’s safety requirements and staffing. Safety plans, course maps, and event details must be reviewed & approved by USAT. This ensures events are safe and fair competition environments, with the EPIC5 events credited towards your annual USAT rankings.
USAT sanctions and insures a multitude of events across the United States. USAT not only sanctions triathlons, but also paratriathlons, duathlons, aquathlons, aquabikes, off-road events, winter triathlons, youth races, camps and clinics.
Be the first to add a review for this event.Add Your Review
No photos entered yet.Add Your Event Photo