_ The 2021 Sole Mates Valentine 5K & 6.5 Mile Run:
Sole Mates is a celebration of health and fitness and is coming back for another year! There's no better way to celebrate than with friends and family. So grab your running buddy and get to the starting line!
This year Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority (a nonprofit service organization) is joining us to support Soles4Souls's global mission to wear out poverty in developing countries by providing gently worn or even new shoes to those who currently do not have.
"Every day children are prevented from attending school, adults are unable to work. Walking becomes unbearable. A new pair of shoes provides relief in many developing nations around the globe, in times of disaster, and helps bridge the economic gap in the United States and Canada. We the Cary Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha are specifically working towards wearing out poverty in Haiti. We believe that every donation matters be it in the form of shoes or monetary donations to purchase shoes to send."
Soles 4 Souls - Wearing Out Poverty will be collecting shoe donations on race day, so please bring out any new or gently-used shoes with you to help support their mission. We are also collecting donations on their behalf online and appreciate your generous support of this incredible organization.
What's different about this race? THREE THINGS!
First, participants can choose to run the race individually (as usual) or they can team up with a partner (separate awards for both categories!). Instead of placing by their individual race times, partners will instead place by their combined times. Run together and win together! We might call it "Sole Mates" but it doesn't matter if you pair up with your spouse, kids, significant other, best buddy, or neighbor.
The second change is the course. You've all probably run the WakeMed course at some point. We know that "the Hill" is a tough climb. That's why we're running the course backwards! That means you run down the hill more times than you have to run up it.
Also, third, just like last year we will have hot baked potatos with all the toppings and homemade brownies for post-race refreshment! The Doubles costume contest will also be judged after the race.
Invite your friends and family to run together!
If you're looking for a great Valentines Day gift for a friend or loved one, sign up for the Sole Mates Run!
Sole Mates is part of Fit & Able's Free-for-All Race Series.
* * * Due to the constantly evolving situation due to Covid-19 any specific changes to event operations for protecting participant health and safety in compliance with the most up-to-date recommendations and requirements will be posted no later than 2 weeks prior to the race and emailed to all registered participants. A virtual component is available for all races for those runners who aren’t comfortable racing in person yet but still want to participate in the event. * * *
* Start times subject to change due to weather or safety
* Final pre-race packet pickup and race day information and updates will be emailed to all registered participants and volunteers the week prior to the race.
Race Location: WakeMed Soccer Park (201 Soccer Park Dr., Cary, NC 27511)
Course Information:The course is on WakeMed's cross country course with dirt, grass, and natural trails with moderate to big hills; conditions depend on the weather prior to the event. The course is NOT USATF certified. GPS tracking apps are not suitable for measuring course distances accurately.
Events: Everyone is welcome to participate! All participants will have chip-timed results that will be posted online. All Fit & Able Productions, Inc. events are inclusion events: anyone of any age, skill-level, or ability can participate in any race!
* No dogs or bikes permitted in the race.
* We strongly discourage participants wearing headphones of any sort while racing for their own safety and so they can properly hear instructions on the course.
* Kids in strollers must be registered and be with a parent registered in either the 5K, 8K, or Mile. Kids in strollers must be numbered, properly buckled into the stroller, and we strongly encourage them to wear a helmet.
* If you or one of your party have a physical or developmental need that may require special accommodation please contact us at least one month prior to the event to discuss reasonable accommodations that may be available.
Course Aid: An athletic trainer will be available at a medical tent located near the finish line. There will be a water station on the course and near the finish line. Water is also available at the registration and refreshment area.
Packet Pick-up: All participants must show a photo ID or be with a guardian with a photo ID in order to pick up their race packets and can only pick up their own race packet. Early packet pickup details will be announced the week prior to the race.
Volunteers: We need your help! If you're available to assist us with registration, handing out water, and cheering on runners please sign up to volunteer between 8:00 AM -12:00 PM.
Awards: Awards are provided by Omega Sports. Must be present to receive awards; no awards will be mailed out or left at Omega Sports. Save your Sole Mates bib number to get 20% off in store at Omega Sports!
Race Souvenirs: Sole Mates long-sleeve tech t-shirts are available for $20 until January 15th. A shirt is included with 6.5 Mile registration if registered by January 15th (size and color are first come first serve at packet pickup). All 5K and 6.5 Mile finishers will receive a race medal if registered by January 15th. Milers can purchase a medal for $5. Legacy Sole Mates shirts also available for purchase.
Online registration closes on February 5th at 9 PM. Cash, check, and credit card are accepted at packet pick-up and race day.
* * * NO REFUNDS, TRANSFERS, or EXCHANGES. * * *
Sole Mates and all its participants are subject to these event policies.
Information from this master site is often shared to or scraped by other online sources that aren't updated when changes are made here. This site on RunSignUp is the only official and updated source for information regarding this event. Everyone who registers for this event will be automatically subscribed to Fit & Able's email distribution list and may unsubscribe at any time.
Fit & Able Productions is a nonprofit organization that has been supporting community and family fitness in Cary since 1997 through organizing creative events and training programs. Proceeds from our events that aren't designated to support other organizations go to support the event and other Fit & Able nonprofit activities.
Be the first to add a review for this event.Add Your Review
No photos entered yet.Add Your Event Photo