Z-Day, a zombie infested 5K military grade obstacle course, plus the Z-Day Festival, an outdoor celebration of New Orleans music, food, and subculture, will take place in metro New Orleans' Laketown on September 21, 2013.
The 5K will consist of 4,000 to 8,000 runners who are chased by zombies through a military style obstacle course, with heats every half hour from 8:00 am until 4:00 pm.
The Z-Day Festival will begin at 8:00 am and end at 5:00 PM with famous New Orleans musical acts headlined by Johnny Sketch & the Dirty NotesplusFlow Tribe, and food and alcoholic beverages provided by New Orleans greatest vendors. Proceeds stay in Greater New Orleans to benefit the SPCAs of Louisiana and Jefferson Parish.
There are fourteen obstacles included in the Z-Day 5K obstacle course. Zombies will be stationed at and between each obstacle attempting to "infect" (steal the flags of) runners on the course. Here are the obstacles:
1. Watery Grave Try to stay above water as you trudge through a muddy trench while being pursued by the undead.
2. Four Times the Muddy Four successive mud pits stand between you and infection. Try not to pass out from exhaustion as you slosh through multiple muddy trenches running from the living dead.
3. Life in the Balance Whatever you do, dont fall down. Balance and walk along a narrow wooden beam over a muddy pit to avoid being infected.
4. A Tangled Web Salvation takes the form of a towering vertical cargo net which you must climb up on one side, and down on the other to escape the flesh hungry horde.
5. The Cold Low Down Bundle up while crawling through REAL SNOW as a super annoying cargo net hangs just inches overhead.
6. Don't Monkey Around Hang on for life! Consecutive sets of monkey bars, one on an incline and the other on a decline, take you over a muddy pit as you try and reach salvation.
7. Into Darkness Descend into several feet of darkness as you crawl through a seemingly endless narrow tube, and exit into a muddy field.
8. Down to the Wire Crawl on your knees and elbows through a pool of mud with only 8-inches of clearance between the ground and overhead wires.
9. Get Over It Three walls varying in height from 6 to 10-feet await your climbing and hustle skills. Climb over all three to outrun the zombies.
10. Against the Wall Checking in at 12-feet, a monstrous wooden wall is all that stands between you and infection. Scale it to reach safety.
11. Bale and Bail A stack of hay bales blocks view of the horizon while you run from the infected horde. Teamwork may be key to you climbing to safety.
12. Zombie Shuffle Over or under: its your choice. Logs and piping sit about a foot off the ground presenting a pretty big obstacle to freedom.
13. Tower of Confusion One group of the living will be crawling through the mud under low-hanging wire while another group traverses a cargo net directly overhead.
14. Hell's Ramp & Blood Luge Try your luck and climbing up a concave ramp (or quarter pipe) to reach the platform above, and avoid the zombies below. From the platform above Hells Ramp you will race to the finish line by sliding down a ridiculously tall slope covered in the blood of the infected.
From MSY - New Orleans Louis Armstrong International Airport:
go 0.1 mi
total 0.1 mi
Continue straight onto Airport Rd
go 0.2 mi
total 0.3 mi
Turn left to stay on Airport Rd
About 5 mins
go 2.2 mi
total 2.4 mi
Slight right toward Veterans Blvd/Veterans Memorial Blvd
go 0.2 mi
total 2.6 mi
Take the 1st right onto Veterans Blvd/Veterans Memorial Blvd