Italian, Movistar’s pro rider has officially announced his retirement from professional cycling being only 29 years old.
It has been more than one and a half year since Malori’s horror crash while participating at the Tour de San Luis in 2016.
Malori’s crash left him in an induced coma. He also suffered several other injuries including a broken collarbone. All this due to the high speed he was riding with at the fifth stage in the famous Argentina’s tour.
— Movistar Team (@Movistar_Team) July 10, 2017
“We all knew what happened in Argentina. I’ve spent two years battling against that dreadful day, and I won, even though it wasn’t a complete victory” Malori said in an official statement.
Even though Malori tried hard to recover and get back to his biggest passion, his luck wasn’t in the same page as he was. He suffered another serious injury last year when participating at the Milano-Torino tour. The crash left him once again with a broken collarbone.
Some good news
The good news is, despite the fact he won’t be able to return back to what he used to do, he has decided to not step away from the cycling world yet. He strongly believes he will be able to undergo a transition into the management aspect of the cycling world.
“Today marks the start of ‘Adriano Malori 2.0’. I’ve already spent one month learning some cycling science, trying to work my way in the future as one who can help on that. I’m getting lots of support from the Italian Federation,” – added Malori.
He also admitted to have given everything to become a professional cyclist once again. Unfortunately, he said this year’s results to have been more than enough for him to come up with the sad conclusion of stepping out from the competition.
“In the Vuelta a Castilla y León, I barely managed to ride 30km. Giving it a try was the only way to know if I was ready or not. I can still ride a bike leisurely, but the racing is not something I can cope with. Still, my recovery has been impressive” he added.