Aaaarrrrrrrrrgh Maties! Reports are that the ghost of the dreaded pirate Blackbeard has been pillaging and looting up and down the Outer Banks for years. If ye have enough courage, ye might find him and win the reward.
The Blackbeard Adventure Race will be offered as both a 4-hour and an 8-hour race in scenic Nags Head, Outer Banks, North Carolina. This exhilarating race includes mountain biking, trail running, kayaking (for the 8-hour race only), coasteering, and orienteering for over 25 combined miles for the Sport Class and 45 combined miles for the Elite Class. This "sprint" race, while challenging, is not as technical as many other races and is a good race for people new to the sport.
- Name: Blackbeard A.R.
- Date: October 5th, 2013
- National Qualifying Race: USARA Regional Qualifier
- Race Check-In: Friday, October 4th, 2013 – 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM at the Comfort Inn South Ocean Front
- Race Starts: Saturday, October 5th, 2013 – 8:00 AM
- Race Ends: Saturday, October 5th, 2013 – 4:00 PM
- Disclaimer: Start and end time depend on tides
- Distance: 25+ (Sport Class) or 45+ miles (Elite Class)
- Disciplines: Trekking, Orienteering, Mountain Biking, Ocean Paddling (only for the 8-hour race), Coasteering.
- Categories: Solo; 2-person, 3-person, 4-person (male, female, or coed)
- Included: Maps, clue sheets, race shirts, kayaks, paddles, PFD, awards, SWAG, a post-race celebration; one of the best endorphin fixes of your life.
- USARA Membership: Since this race is sanctioned by USARA all racers must either be current members of USARA (with proof of membership and membership #) or pay for a one day license at registration/check in. Please have cash on hand.
- Book your lodging at the Comfort Inn South Ocean Front
• Provided: Kayaks, paddles, PFDs, topographical map, race passport, clue sheet, race t-shirt.
• Mandatory Gear Individual (1 Per Person): Rescue whistle, emergency space blanket, knife with 3inch blade, mountain bike helmet, waterproof breathable jacket (gortex or nylon), backpack (minimum 12L capacity).
• Mandatory Team/Solo Gear (1 Per Team): Waterproof map case, compass, fully-charged cellular phone in waterproof case, bike repair kit, first aid kit**, 50foot rescue line/throw line, duct tape (minimum of 10’).
• Mandatory Gear 4HR Sport Class (1 Per Person): Mountain Bike, Bike Helmet, Hydration backpack or 2 water bottles, nutrition.
• Mandatory Team/Solo 4HR Sport Class (1 per Team): Compass, bike repair kit, first aid kit**, Waterproof Map case, fully-charged cellular phone in waterproof case.
• Recommended Gear: Sunscreen, sunglasses, waterproof bags, waterproof document protector, Vaseline, foot powder, tow line, cash, outside maps are authorized, waterproof bladder (at least 70 oz. recommended).
• **First aid kit must contain at least: 10 Motrin or Advil, 10 iodine water purification tablets, one roll of 3-inch sterile gauze (minimum of 6’, in the wrapper), one roll of 2-inch ace bandage (minimum of 10’, in the wrapper), one small tube of Neosporin or other antibacterial application, 2 XL bandages (3/4” x 4”), 2 joint/knuckle bandages, and 2 finger bandages (7/8” x 3”).
• Also recommended for first aid kit: Eye drops, tweezers, Tecnu Extreme poison ivy treatment.
Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps