2011 East Grand Adventure Race:
A real gem of a race tucked away in rural northern Washington County, Maine.
This 20 miler includes an off trail compass run, Mt. biking, canoeing and a climbing wall challenge.
There are eight divisions, entry fee is $40.00 per team (pairs) which includes trophies, t-shirts, lunch and over $1,000.00 in prizes for youth divisions.
Hosted by the East Grand High School's Outdoor Education program and sponsored in part by Ski Rack Sports of Bangor and First Wind Stetson Mountain Wind Farm, the race is designed to get teens and adults outside for some good wholesome physical activity while travelling through rugged and remote eastern Maine wilderness.
This is our sixth adventure race with 63 competing last year.
Level of difficulty: While the race will be physically challenging. It is not beyond the reach of those who are in reasonably good physical condition. We highly recommend a routine of training, well before the race that includes biking, jogging/running and canoeing.
There will be a five minutes between each element to take a short break, eat a snack, and take a drink before heading out on the next leg of the race.
The 20 mile race will consist of four parts:
1st an off trail compass run beginning at Stetson Mountain Wind Farm (approx. 1.5),
2nd will be mountain biking for approx. 9 miles on woods roads, trails and mystery obstacles,
3rd is canoeing for 9.5 miles on Baskahegan Stream.
The 4th being a climbing wall challenge back in the gym with easy and difficult routes to choose from.
Note: the climbing wall challenge can take 3-7 minutes off your course time and only one person from your team climbs.
Directions To East Grand High School
When coming from central and southern Maine
Take 95 north to exit 227.
In Lincoln, take a left onto Rt. 6. Follow Rt. 6 through town and east to Springfield.
In Springfield, take a left onto Rt. 169, bear right twice over the next 20+ miles for Danforth.
In Danforth, cross over the train tracks go up over the hill and take a left onto Rt. 1 north, the school is on the right.
From the Houlton area and points north:
Take Rt. 1 South to Danforth, the school is on the left.
From Down East Maine:
Take Rt. 1 north,
Rt. 1 makes a right turn in Danforth, turn right and the school is on the right.
This event started out as a high school race. Two years ago we added an adult division. This year we've added five new divisions.
Divisions are as follows:
High School: boys, girls, mixed;
Adult: men, women, mix; Jr./Sr., Open.
Be sure to check out Bill Green's Outdoor Show coverage of last year's event. It is linked to our school's website.
All proceeds benefit the School Outdoor Education Program.
2011 Race Results Are Listed Below:
Open: Jeff Owen-Mark Rowe, Orono, 2:48:53
1. Emmanuel Boss, Orono, 2:54:06
2.Eliot Lamb 4:28:26, Orono
3. Tammi Matula- Sarah-Harbision-Emily Massey- Felicia Cowgar- Victoria Roy, East Grand, 4:35:30
4. Jane Cousins-Shelby Lindsay-Loren Morse-Dustin Morse-Shauuna Beaudion-Theresa Cousins, East Grand, 5:05:41
High School Boys:
1.Yuval Boss-Cal Hamilton,Orono 3:08:41,
2. Chris Introne-Dan Perry, Orono, 3:11:05
3. Alex Introne-Schulyler Collett, Orono, 3:27:49
4. Jake Hoops-Clay White, Woodland, 3:54:14
5. Paul Robinson-Andrew Holt, Orono 3:55:24
6. Robert Cousins-Logan Crone, East Grand, 4:03:29
7. Neil Noble-Samari Stewart, East Grand, 4:09:48
8. Chet Knights-James Berry, East Grand, 5:16:56
High School Girls
1. Kailey Schmidt-Sammi Nedeau, Orono, 4:29:53
2. Molly White-Taylor Cochran, Woodland 4:49:53
High School Mixed
1. Kenneth Winiarski-Cassidy Woo, East Grand, 4:04:37
2.Mitchell Bartlett- Ashley Grenier, East Grand, 4:07:31
3. Billy Stoddard-Chelsea Winiarski, East Grand, 4:24:33
1. Phillip Farley-Ryan Bennett, East Grand, Houlton, 3:48:01
2.Laurie Hamilton-Fiona Sorenson, Orono, 4:05:15
3. Arthur Russell-Liz Gilman, East Grand, Danforth, 5:54:54
1. Joel Sweetster-Brendan Tallon, Rumford/Norfolk, CT 3:27:07
2. Nate Sixberry-Aaron Henn, Danforth, 3:27:41
3. Chris Irish-Jared Delaite, Wytopitlock, 3:57:00
4. Greg Palm-Thomas Puzewski, Presque Isle, 4:20:15
1. Scott Frazer-Stephanie Allod, Perry, 3:26:06
2. Jason Neal-Katie Neal, Enfield, 3:52:24
3. Kristen Schild-Gordon Hamilton, Chicago IL/Orono, 4:42:32
4. Naomi Gillette-John Bergman, Bangor, 4:50:01;