2014 Surfside Beach Marathon & Half Marathon:
It's flat, it's beautiful and it's all on the sand! Come run or walk a TRUE beach full or half marathon in Surfside Beach, Texas- where the shells in the sand are as numerous as stars in the sky.
• The Surfside Beach Marathon and Half Marathon is held in the Village of Surfside Beach, Texas each February. The first run was in 2005 and it is the only Marathon and Half Marathon course in the United States run entirely on a beach.
• The race is held on the Surfside public beach, along the Gulf of Mexico, from Surfside to San Luis Pass and back again. The beach is largely undeveloped and extremely... hill covered with hard packed, smooth sand. Since it is one of the only marathons in the world run almost entirely on sand, runners have joined from all over the country and even as far away as Ethiopia, Japan, Uruguay, Australia, and Italy!
• Temperature at start usually in the low 50's.
• Prevailing sea breeze usually gives a headwind going toward San Luis Pass, and a tailwind on return to the finish.
• • •
|Running on sand can result in slower times, but others say the sand is easier on the legs and great for long training runs. In 2007, Stephen Baumgartner was the first runner to break the 3 hour mark finishing in 2 hours, 55 minutes, and 44 seconds.
The race begins and ends at the Stahlman Park pavilion on the beach. After the race, a post-race party is held at the scenic park, overlooking the gulf, with plenty of Texas-style BBQ available.
1. The course is open to vehicular traffic on the beach. You may use headphones, but be aware of your surroundings. There will be plenty of room for both runners and vehicles, but there won't be much traffic at the time of the race.
2. As with running on any beach, tides will cause ripples or irregularities on the running surface. Sand is hard packed and very safe.
BLUEWATER HIGHWAY (STAHLMAN PARK PAVILION)
• 2211 Bluewater Hwy
• Surfside Beach, TX
• Map & Directions
• • •
Each year both the full and half races feature:
• Miles of uninterrupted, peaceful beach
• Unique shirt to commemorate the event
• Custom designed finisher medals
• Imaginative age group awards
• Texas-style BBQ after the event and beer provided by Del Papa
2013 Results at: marathonguide.com
2012 Results at: thedriven.net or marathonguide.com
2011 Results at: thedriven.net or marathonguide.com
2010 Results at: thedriven.net or marathonguide.com
2009 Results at: thedriven.net or marathonguide.com
2008 Results at: marathonguide.com
2007 Results at: marathonguide.com
2006 Results at: marathonguide.com
2005 Results at: marathonguide.com
• • •
Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps