The 2013 CPSC Sprint & Kids Triathlon will be held Saturday, September 28, 2013 at Crown Point High School in Crown Point, IN.
Race entry fee is $40 for Kids 6-13 and $60 for the Sprint (14 & older) prior to September 7, 2013 and $50 for Kids 6-13 and $70 for the Sprint (14 & older) through September 27, 2013. Please deduct $10 for Kids and $12 for Adults if you are a USAT annual member. Race shirts are guaranteed for all registrations received prior to September 7, 2013.
Online Registration To register online - click here! Paper Registration Form
For paper registration form - click here
Post Race Activities
There will be a DJ, healthy snacks and drink at the finish for the athletes. The award ceremony will take place after the Juniors race is complete.
Any parent or child needing service hours (we are a non-profit organization) interested in volunteering on race day will be GREATLY appreciated. Please contact our race directors at cpsctriathlon.com and sign up to be part of this fantastic event. Also, please don’t forget to thank the many volunteers out there ensuring everyone has a safe and fun race! We could not put this race on without them.
We are looking forward to seeing you on race day!!
Race Morning Reminders
• Don’t forget your bike helmet, no riders will be allowed on the course without one.
• Transition area will close at 8:45 am (CST) sharp for all Sprint, Junior and Senior racers. You must have everything set up and be out of the transition area so we can start the race on time.
• Junior and Senior racers should make sure they bring some extra warm clothing to wear while waiting to go off. (You won’t be able to get back into transition area once the Sprint race starts.)
• Mandatory course talk will begin at 8:45 am (CST) outside the transition area.
• Spectators will be allowed in the pool gallery during the swim. Entry to the pool gallery is directly across from the Wellness Room.
• The swim start will take place in numerical order. The interval between racers will be 10 seconds. It is the racer’s responsibility to be at the swim start on time. Please be ready to go in the waiting area.
• Make sure you have your race number on the front of your body or clothing when you finish the run. We can’t count you in the results if we can’t see your number.
• Body Markers will be available outside the transition area. Please make sure you get body marked on race morning.
• When starting out on the bike course, athletes must NOT mount their bikes until they cross the “mounting line”. There will be volunteers on the course letting you know where this is. Athletes must also dismount at this line and run their bikes into the transition area for safety purposes.
• Make sure to stay to the right side of the road on the bike course unless you are passing. Once you have passed (on the LEFT), move back to the right side of the road. Be LOUD on the bike course; let a rider know you will pass by saying, “On your left!” Be Safe! The course will be partially closed, but the police may have to let some vehicles through so be aware of what is going on around you.
• Athletes in the Sprint Division will do TWO LOOPS on the bike course. We will explain this during the pre-race course talk.
• Athletes in the Junior & Senior Division will turn around just before Cedar Lake Road. This will also be explained in the course talk and there will be volunteers on the course telling the kids where to go.
• Have a great race, but most importantly, be safe and HAVE FUN!
The race is split into 3 separate race divisions. Please note that your race age is determined by your age as of Dec. 31, 2013 per USAT rules.
1. Juniors (6-9 year olds) – 50 Yard pool swim, 2 Mile Bike, 500 Yard Run
2. Seniors (10-13 year olds) – 150 Yard pool swim, 4 Mile Bike; 1 Mile Run
3. Sprint (minimum age of 14 – previous Sprint race experience recommended) - 400 Yard pool swim, 12 Mile Bike, 3.1 Mile Run (Please contact race director at email@example.com if you unsure of athlete placement)
The Sprint Race will begin at 9:00 am (CST). The Juniors and Seniors Race will begin at 10:30 am (CST) or as soon as the last Sprint racer is off the bike course. The Junior Racers will follow once all the Senior racers have completed the bike course. Junior and Senior racers should make sure they bring some extra warm clothing to wear while waiting to go off. (You won’t be able to get back into transition area once the Sprint race starts.)
The transition area will open at 7:30 am (CST) and close at 8:45 am (CST) for the Sprint, Junior and Senior racers. Mandatory race talk will be at 8:45 am (CST) SHARP!! PLEASE get to the race early enough to get set up and out of the transition area on time so we can have a prompt start. Junior and Senior athletes may only have ONE parent or guardian in the transition area with them prior to race start. Racers must be body marked to gain access to the transition area. We will do our best to keep this area secure; however, Crown Point Swim Club will not be responsible for lost or stolen items. Race volunteers with triathlon experience will be available to give kids some tips on setting up their transition space.
Transition Area Map
Click here for the transition map
Junior and Senior racers will be completing a 50 and 150 yard swim, respectively, in the Crown Point High School Pool. The swim will be done in a “snake” fashion with each swimmer swimming one length in each lane (CPHS has a eight lane, 25 yard pool). There will be lifeguards on duty as well as volunteers to make sure each swimmer completes the course in a safe manner. Swimmers will be starting the course one at a time at 10-second intervals. Swimmers will be allowed to pass another swimmer.
The Sprint racers will also swim in a “snake” fashion with each swimmer swimming two length in each lane (CPHS has a eight lane, 25 yard pool) for a total of 16 laps or 400 yards. There will be lifeguards on duty as well as volunteers to make sure each swimmer completes the course in a safe manner. Swimmers will be starting the course one at a time at 10-second intervals. Swimmers will be allowed to pass another swimmer.
The bike course will be on neighborhood streets just west and south of Crown Point High School. We will have the Crown Point Police Department and Lake County Sheriff volunteering at the many of the intersections as well as race volunteers along the route. The route will be closed to most traffic. However, all racers MUST adhere to instructions given by volunteers and police officers. In the event of an emergency, an ambulance may have to get through the bike course. Riders are expected to follow normal road rules. This includes staying to the right and passing on the left. There will be NO DRAFTING in the Juniors and Seniors race on the bike portion of the race.
***No rider will be allowed on the bike course without a certified bike helmet…No exceptions!! USAT rules require that "all participants shall wear a protective head cover, undamaged and unaltered, which meets or exceeds the safety standards of the Consumer Product Safety Commission(CPSC). Helmets manufactured prior to March 10, 1999 must meet or exceed the safety standards of (i) the American National Standard Institute (ANSI Z-90.4), (ii) The Snell Memorial Foundation (Protective Headgear for Bicycle Users), or (iii) ASTM F-1446 or F-1447, and which is clearly labeled by the manufacturer as satisfying such standards. Removal of helmet cover, if required for that helmet to meet such safety standards, shall constitute an impermissible alteration in violation of this Section 5.9(a). Any violation of this Section 5.9(a) shall result in disqualification." Safety is our number one concern for all of our participants! **
The run course will take place neighborhood streets just north of Crown Point High School. Volunteers and two aid stations with water will be available on the course.
Bike & Run Course Map
Bike & Run Map - Click here
There are two options for packet pick up:
1.) Friday, September 27, 2013 from 5-8 pm (CST), Crown Point High School Wellness Room, 1500 South Main Street, Crown Point, IN.
2.) Race Morning – Saturday, September 28, 2013 from 7:30-8:30 am (CST), Crown Point High School Wellness Room, 1500 South Main Street, Crown Point, IN.
We strongly encourage you to pick up packets on Friday evening; it’s one less thing to deal with on race morning. We’ll also have people on hand to answer any questions you might have.
USAT Cards/Numbers – VERY IMPORTANT!
Please bring your USAT card to packet pickup. This is mandatory for insurance purposes. We will be checking USAT cards with Photo ID at packet pickup. You can register for a USAT one day or annual membership at the USAT website: http://www.usatriathlon.org/. USAT one day registration will also be available at packet pickup if you have not yet registered online.
Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps