Working in conjunction with the City of Newark, Piranha Sports is proud to bring to you one of the most unique swims and venue in all of Delaware. Starting with the swim in the pristine Newark Reservoir in what appears to be on the "Top of Delaware" - hence the name. Followed by an exit of the swim (special exit platforms being designed) with a run from the "Top" down to the TA at the base of the hill, triathletes will bike on the surrounding hills of Newark. After racking the bike in T2, triahtletes will then venture back up to the "Top" for the majority of the run in a mixture of asphalt, trails, and foot bridges and finish with a steady and long downhill run to the finish line near TA. We promise this will be one of the top 3 races to do in all of the U.S.!!
Swim - 1/4 mile - triathlon - in water start
Bike - 11.4 miles - Rolling terrain, somewhat technical at spots, all on relatively smooth roadways.
- In the Newark Reservoir. Special permission obtained. DO NOT SWIM ON YOUR OWN.
- Expected water temperature around 74 degrees. Wetsuits allowed and optional if water temperature is 78 degrees or less taken on race morning. Come prepared with a wetsuit just in case.
- Swim Cut Off Rule. All participants are expected to be able to complete the swim discipline maintaining a steady consistent stroke and able to maintain on course. Lifeguards are provided for emergency situations and to prevent swimmers from drowning. Any swimmer who is in constant need of aid from lifeguards along the swim is considered to be a hazard to themselves and other swimmers and has not prepared properly for the race (this includes breaks, and redirection on course). If a lifeguard at any point feels an athlete is taking too much attention, the lifeguard reserves the right to remove the athlete from the race. This removal will result in a DNF (Did Not Finish) from the entire race (the athlete will not be allowed to compete in the bike or run) at which point athlete must hand in their timing chip to lifeguard or designated staff person.
Run - 2.6 miles - final leg. Out , loop, and back course.
- Exit Transition area and head out the main entrance of Newark Reservoir on Old Paper Mill Road.
- Left onto Paper Mill Road.
- Right onto E. Cleveland Avenue.
- Right onto Route 896 (aka New Lond Road).
- Right onto Hopkins Road.
- At the intersection of Hopkins Road and Thompson Station Road, continue straight. At this point, Hopkins Road becomes Pleasant Hill Road.
- Right onto Corner Ketch Road.
- Right onto Paper Mill Road.
- At deep descent towards Old Paper Mill Road, "SLOW DOWN".
- Left onto Old Paper Mill Road.
- Left into TA.
- Stay to the right of each other. Some asphalt, grass, trail, and foot bridges.
- Start from TA and head up path to top of reservoir. Stay right and head towards path of William Redd Jr. Park. Staying to the right at all times, run counter-clockwise in approximately 1/2 mile loop within Redd Park. When heading out of woods, head back up to reservoir and turn right to run around the rest of the reservoir in a counter-clockwise direction. Upon meeting up with the main path to/from TA, turn right and head down the steady and long path towards the finish line at the base of the hill. Finish line is on grass
Sunday, August 18, 2013
- 6:00am - 7:15am - Packet Pickup and LAST MINUTE BIKE AND HELMET optional inspections.
- 7:15am - All athletes AND spectators/family members must be in the park by this time due to congested area of the road for this event.
- 6:00am - 7:15am - Transition area opened. Located at the base of the Newark Reservoir. Late packet pickup. Body marking.
- 7:15am - Brief pre-race meeting, then head up to the top of Reservoir to prepare for swim.
- 8:00am - Start of Tri.
- Wave assignments TBD.
- 10:15am - Official results posted. This is your opportunity to review your own results. Once awards ceremony begins, all results are final.
- 10:30am - Post race party/awards. Awards will not be mailed.
- 10:30am - Transition area closed.
2013 Results at: piranha-sports.com
• • •
Powered By Subgurim(http://googlemaps.subgurim.net).Google Maps