Through Life Time Fitness, I offer two main services:
- Group triathlon workout training, consisting of three coached sessions per week, in addition to a daily workout schedule given via TrainingPeaks.com. Workouts are periodized through the year, and are customized to an individual in that all paces are determined by frequent assessments. Life Time South Jordan has an excellent indoor and outdoor 25 meter pool and indoor cycling studio with power-equipped Freemotion spin bicycles.
- Individual workout plans with weekly or bi-weekly consults and unlimited email.
I also offer hourly 1:1 endurance training for any aspect of triathlon, cycling, or running, including strength and core work. As a metabolic specialist with Life Time Fitness
, I can do resting or active metabolic assessment testing using a metabolic cart and provide power or heart rate training zones and your metabolic profile.
Privately, I can also do detailed triathlon bike fitting using a state of the art fit-bike and computrainer.
Marty Smith has enjoyed balancing his love of endurance sports with a naval and government career since 1985. As his military career came to a close in 2005, Marty started coaching to help others feel the accomplishment, self confidence, and better health that comes with proper training for an endurance event. Marty continues to leverage his training and racing experience in addition to proven scientific training protocols to help others achieve their athletic potential in a balanced and enjoyable way.
Over a racing career that has spanned 28 years, Marty has kept at nearly the same performance level with a proven approach to training using an achievable and smart training plan, functional and sport specific strength training, and detailed race planning using power meter or heart rate pacing. He has a deep appreciation for efficient training and fully appreciates the tremendous challenge of balancing endurance training with a full-time job, family, and other commitments.
Marty has racing and coaching experience in a variety of endurance and multisport events, from olympic to iron distance triathlon, duathlon, off-road (Xterra), and marathon/ultra running events. Additionally, he has spent 8 years coaching and racing in Europe, and can give you detailed guidance on triathlons and other endurance destination events overseas. If you're interested in joining him on your journey to your first triathlon or the next level of athletic performance, please follow the link below.
- BS Chemical Engineering University of Utah
- USA Triathlon Level 1 Coach
- ACE and AFAA Certified Personal Trainer
- Slowtwitch certified Triathlon Bike Fitter
- 25+ years coaching and racing experience
- Life Time Fitness certified Metabolic Specialist
- Over 40 marathon finishes, PR of 2:40
- Selected for the U.S. Navy Ironman Kona Team, 1999
- 12x Ironman finishes; PR 10:57 at the age of 52
- 7x Xterra World Championship finisher
- 2nd Place age group open division, 2012 ITU Long Distance Duathlon World Championship Zofingen
- 2nd Place age group, 2011 Challenge Copenhagen Irondistance
- Organizer and winner of world's first half marathon race held underwater on a nuclear submarine
"I really enjoy sharing my triathlon knowledge and experience with both beginners and experienced athletes to help them achieve their goals, and doing it in a fun and motivational way utilizing the latest in sports science techniques" -- Coach Marty