Rick has been an athlete for as long as he can remember. Growing up competing in team sports helped to get those competitive juices flowing. Whether on the baseball diamond, soccer field, or ice rink, Rick wanted to not only push himself, but help to push his teammates as well. He continued his athletic career at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater where he played on the universities men's soccer team.
The competitive spirit didn't die upon completion of his soccer career at UW-W. Shortly after college Rick registered for his first triathlon, the Chicago Triathlon. The decision was made right then that he would continue to work as hard as he could in order to eventually compete in the Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii. Rick would complete his first Ironman in Coeur d' Alene, ID back in 2008 where he would finish in a time of 10:50:06. Since then he has competed in countless races, where highlights include 2 overall wins, numerous age group podiums, 7 Ironman finishes including a 9:43 at Ironman Arizona in 2010 which would qualify him for the 2011 Ironman World Championships. In Kona Rick had a great day where he would beat that time from Arizona by 9 minutes and finish in 9:34. After getting the Kona bug, Rick decided he had to head back to the big island and earned his Kona spot as well as his highest overall Ironman finish (19th) this past May at Ironman St. George. That Kona bug continues to bite as Rick has already earned his 2013 Kona slot by finishing 2nd in the M30-34 age group at Ironman Wisconsin racing a very controlled 9:40.
Rick has worked with all levels of athletes. Highlights of his athletes include:
- Ironman World Championship Qualifier
- Ironman Coeur d' Alene Age Group 2nd Place
- Ironman Racine 70.3 Age Group 4th Place
- Overall Female Half Ironman Champion
- SheRox Naperville Age Group Champion
- SheRox Naperville Age Group 2nd
- Pleasant Prairie Triathlon Age Group 2nd
- Galena Triathlon Age Group Champion
- Pigman Half Ironman Age Group 2nd Place
- Numerous Personal Best Times from the sprint distance up through the ironman distance
- Boston Marathon Qualifier